© 2018 by Lees Boatbuilders - Sandspit, Warkworth, Auckland

HISTORY

Lees Boatbuilders Ltd was founded by Tim Lees in 1951 and originally located in North Cove on Kawau Island where it operated for 12 years before Tim relocated the business to its current Sandspit site in 1963. Tim served his time as a boatbuilding apprentice with the Lidgard yard which was located a short walk over the hills at Lidgard Bay in Bon Accord Harbour. Tim's original boatshed is still in working order and visible in North Cove.

The early days saw a number of smaller craft built. Tim's son Greg took over the reigns in 1992 and the yard continues to serve boaties in the Rodney area north of Auckland  A wide variety of boats have been built over the years but all of them had one common feature - they were crafted from timber and to this day it is still the material of choice at Lees Boatbuilders and is the foundation of our hard earned reputation for producing high quality workmanship.

HISTORIC SLIDE SHOW
Arial view of boatshed